Saturday, June 30, 2012

saturday night . . .

Do you remember Saturday nights when you were in your 20's? Truthfully, most of the details of that chunk of experience are dull, distant memories that I just don't have the energy to pull up at the moment. Why, you ask? Because it is still over 100ยบ at 8:01 PM and I' feel like I have been having nonstop hot flashes for the last 48 hours. (this heat-wave has withered more than my impatience; it is killing my will to do anything except stay inside and drink a glass [or two] of wine)  I realize that the alcohol is probably contributing to my internal combustion, but there is only so much one can give up! It humbles me to admit it, but between this heat-wave and menopause, drinking my wine is the only part of the day that is stress free  .  .  .  Group Therapy all by myself! 

Back to my 20's  .  .  .  I do remember those years being full of fun. I remember not worrying about laundry or nutrition, or anything really  .  .  .  I just had to report to work on time, pay my bills on time, obey the speed limit and use good judgement when on a date or out with friends. There was no yard work or home repairs or real responsibility of any kind beyond yours truly. Youth really is wasted on the young. They (we) have (had) NO FREAKING IDEA how good they (we) had it! Just typing those words makes me a little green with envy. What am I doing on this warm (sweltering) June evening? Am I trying to decide which restaurant or hip new club to visit tonight? Am looking in my closet for the perfect outfit I want to show off? Am I sipping on a glass of wine before my date (or boyfriend) arrives for a fun-filled evening? NO  .  .  .  I'm sitting at my dining room table, surrounded by the groceries that I still haven't put away from my late afternoon trip to our local Publix; after stepping on kitty litter that the kitten has managed to spread all over the floor; then remembering the pile of laundry that I have to fold before I retire for the night  .  .  .  yet, in spite of it all, I am sipping a glass of red wine while I type this post.  I sigh with the heaviness of all that I am responsible for and I must admit that even with all that I still have to do and in my un-showered state, I am so very happy to be in my home, typing away, truly enjoying what has become my norm. I am thrilled to eat whatever I want to because my sixteen year old is out with friends, watch whatever I want to because all the TVs belong to me most weekend nights (and frankly, all summer long) and do whatever it is that I need or choose to do on this Saturday evening. Ain't life grand!

I will leave you with a picture that wasn't taken too many years ago; a picture of me (Carrie), Samantha and Charlotte, at a fundraiser that was near and dear to our hearts. I think we had more energy back then. I know we had fewer wrinkles and no hot flashes! We were just old enough to appreciate all that we had been blessed with  .  .  .  namely, our deep and enduring friendship. Here's to Group Therapy any night of the week!


Life-long Friends!
 Until next time  .  .  .  

No comments:

Post a Comment